[OPF List] The Escapes - And My Journey to Freedom - A Review

Gary Hunt hunt at outpost-of-freedom.com
Fri Mar 13 05:10:29 JST 2015

The Escapes - And My Journey to Freedom, by Du Hua
A review of a book that every Vietnam Veteran should read

The Escapes And My Journey to Freedom a review

Gary Hunt
Outpost of Freedom
March 11, 2014

Du Hua was just 7 years old when I left Vietnam.  I never met him until,
recently when I read his book and then spoke with him on the phone.

It was about 10:00 AM, September 19, 1967, when I boarded a commercial
flight from Bien Hoa Air Base, Bien Hoa, Republic of South Vietnam.  After a
15-hour flight, we landed at Travis Air Force Base, California, at about
10:00 AM, September 19, 1967.  Because of the International Date Line, my
flight, by local times, was a matter of minutes.

Not so for Du Hua.  It was the spring of 1980 when he made his first attempt
to escape the communist regime that we had left as our political legacy in
Vietnam.  Things did not work out so well for him, as the pre-arranged
escape did not work out as planned.  For various reasons, the next nine
attempts also failed to result in his escape from Vietnam.  Finally, on his
eleventh attempt, and a harrowing ordeal at sea, he succeeded, along with
the other passengers in the frail boat in which they had escaped.  The Cap
Anamur, a German ship, purposed to rescue the Vietnamese Boat People that
had survived their ordeal by sea, picked them up.  This was in June 1981,
over a year after his first attempt to escape.  Very different from that
casual flight I had taken just 14 years earlier.

He and his companions were then taken to the Philippines.  After months of
effort, he received permission to go to the United States and join his
brother, a Vietnamese Soldier who had escaped years before, after having
been seriously wounded in combat.

Du went on to join the United States Navy, serving proudly until receiving a
lifetime service related injury while serving with VFA-86.

Having lost his naval career to the injury, he worked his way through
college, eventually becoming a registered pharmacist (this requires almost
as much education as a doctor).

Du has achieved what he sought when he left Vietnam, 34 years ago.  He has
found his Freedom and his American Dream.

However, for Vietnam Veterans, treated so contemptuously upon our return
from Vietnam, there is a far greater message in this story of Du's escape
and subsequent life.  He is very active, today, speaking to children in
classrooms and to other groups, of his experience and paying tribute to
Vietnam, and other veterans who have served their country.  He also speaks
of his appreciation for the United States and the ideal of freedom, and what
it meant to so many who, like Du, risked their lives to leave communist
Vietnam and seek the freedom that they had heard so much of from those of us
who had served with honor and imparted images of what life in the United
States was all about.

Except for my family, other Vietnam Veterans, and their families, there has
not been a "Welcome Home" that had any meaning -- simply platitudes in
keeping with Political Correctness.

This always left me with the feeling that since our own government did not
have the same honor as the soldiers who fought in Vietnam, there was no
purpose, any good, served by those who fought, and especially those who
died, in what we believed at the time to be our duty.

As I read Du's story, I began to realize that though we abandoned the
Vietnamese when we left, we left a legacy that endured, and became that
shining light that the Statute of Liberty once stood for -- a Beacon to the
World.  Our efforts were not in vain, regardless of the failure of our
government.  For the first time in my life, I feel that my efforts have
served far more than I had ever imagined.

This book has shed a completely new light to that service.  It has served as
redemption of what had been couched in guilt for the past 48 years.  For the
first time I can say not only that I was proud to have served, but also
realize that that service has done far more for our country, and the world,
than I ever imagined.

Vietnam Veterans can receive a copy of the book by contacting Du Hua via
email at theescapes81 at gmail.com

Others wishing to read Du's story can purchase the book at:

http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000569324/The-Escapes-and-My-J
ourney-to-Freedom.aspx
or
http://www.amazon.com/The-Escapes-My-Journey-Freedom/dp/1477210628

This article can be found on line at The Escapes - And My Journey to Freedom
- A Review <http://outpost-of-freedom.com/blog/?p=1073>

Gary Hunt
 <http://www.outpost-of-freedom.com/> Outpost of Freedom

An American, without apology;

and one who can think of no other time and place, in history, that I would
rather be alive.